This came out of a spicy mocajete recipe that I like to make. I normally make a dish with cabbage, tomatoes, and onions, and decided to throw in a little garlic and Jalpeno to give a nice Mexican flair. A great flavor booster is by dry roasting everything first in a pan so that it has a nice roasted flavor which really adds to the complexity, but I get it, you’re pressed for time and need a quick and easy recipe. Just a thought.
• 1/2 cabbage finely chopped
• 3 tomatoes sliced
• 1 jalapeño or Serrano sliced (remove seeds if you are sensitive to spiciness)
• 1/4 onion chopped
• 2 cloves garlic smashed
• olive oil
- Heat oil in a pan and add in garlic, Serrano, and onions cooking until brown
- Add in the cabbage and allow to cook covered for about 2-3 minutes
- Add in tomatoes along with some salt and cook for another 3-5 minutes cover just so that the tomatoes cook thoroughly and begin to “melt”
- Add pepper if you like and adjust salt to taste
- Serve and enjoy!