I made this out of a curiosity experiment on whether or not trendy foods actually tasted good. Most likely created out of the need to fulfill the peoples love of rice and carbs while maintaining that “low-carb” reputation. If you have a great blender or food processor then go for it! This is my take on cauliflower “dirty rice” which is basically rice mixed with a bunch of different veggies and such.
I had someone asking about this the other day so this one’s for you!
If you want my honest opinion about this recipe… I hate it. It tasted good don’t get me wrong, however the amount of time and effort was not worth it. i spent a good deal of time trying to actually make the “rice” itself. If you have one of those blenders with the weird bottom that is like those Sonic large cups, with the bottom being “conveniently” able to fit in a cup holder while the rest of it is a big container, don’t do this recipe. I regretted it the moment I put my cauliflower in the blender.
If you really want to make this, then make sure you have a great blender. Otherwise you will end up hating yourself just like me. Had I a better blender I’m sure this would be a repeat recipe or at least the medium (cauliflower rice) would have been used much more than just the one time that I made it.
Overall texture wise it was pretty good. But in the end it still tasted like cauliflower and veggies to me. You can’t try and fool me with a rice substitute. I was born to eat rice, not even the best cauliflower rice could throw me off.
But, if you don’t really care for anything rice related or just want to try something new then try it out. You could always of course make it a fried rice dish as well. I just had too much zucchini at the time to use anything else.
Cauliflower rice with cilantro
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- white pepper
- chicken broth
- chicken fat (for a nice flavor, olive oil is good as well)
- Make cauliflower rice using a blender!!! You can either pulse it or blend on a low setting scraping down the sides
- Heat chicken fat in a pan and cook onions and garlic until onions begin to wilt
- Add in celery and bell peppers along with a tiny bit of chicken broth and let cook 3 minutes covered, the bell pepper and celery should be soft
- Add in zucchini and cook for another 2 minutes covered along with some salt
- Add in cauliflower rice along with a couple tbsps of chicken broth, stirring constantly for about 2-3 minutes, add white pepper and salt to your liking, if your veggies seem too dry add some more chicken broth
- Turn off heat and add some cilantro
- Serve hot and enjoy!!!