Su ji better known as vegetarian chicken, is another wonderful tofu creation that is an absolute favorite in my family. If you are a non-meat eater, then this is a must try for you because it definitely fulfills that “meatiness” texture and satiation.
This recipe is traditionally made with lots of mushrooms and is a little bit sweeter so don’t skimp on either the mushrooms or the sweetness.
The dried lily flowers can be easily found in any Asian grocer in the dry goods section and is essential in this recipe as it adds the unique sweetness that is the trademark of this dish.
Su ji (vegetarian Chicken)
the absolute best no meat alternative!
- 2 rolls/ blocks of vegetarian chicken (a special type of tofu)
- ¼ cup regular soy sauce
- 5 Shiitake mushrooms soaked and quartered
- ½ cup Dried wood ear mushrooms, soaked
- 1/3 cup dried lily flowers soaked
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. starch + water
- Heat some oil in a pan and add in the vegetarian chicken stirring for about a minute or two
- Add in the soy sauce, sugar, and some water and stir for another minute then add in the mushrooms and lily flowers and let cook covered for about 5-7 minutes.
- Carefully stir the mixture and add more soy sauce if necessary, then add in the starch mixture and turn off the heat, again carefully stirring until the starch is incorporated evenly.
- Serve hot and enjoy!