Partly inspired by one of my all tie favorite movies Julie & Julia, this recipe was absolutely fun and delicious to make! I did not, however, have an “indoor” dutch oven but my brand new cast iron camping oven worked just fine.
This was probably the first recipe in which I actually used a real wine (not the Chinese cooking wine I always use) but actual real, red wine! I was a little nervous at first because I wasn’t sure how it would taste or if it was even the right kind of wine to cook with. Nevertheless, I cooked with, and stuck the whole dish in the oven, and prayed to God that the whole thing wouldn’t prove a disaster and… it didn’t!
The wine gave a nice fruity and sweet flair to the dish that didn’t at all taste like the bitter liquid that it originally was. The burning out of the alcohol actually reconstitutes some of that sweet grape flavor. Maybe it would have been better to cook with grape juice? Oh well. It still became a great success and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Modified Beef bourguignon
• 3 lbs beef cut into roughly 1 inch cubes
• 2 carrots peeled and chopped
• 1 onion roughly chopped
• 1-2 zucchini chopped
• 1 potato chopped
• 3 bay leaves
• 1 sprig thyme
• 1/2 cup red wine (I used Zinfandel)
• 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 cup snow peas or frozen peas
• 1/4 cabbage cut into 1 inch pieces
• 2 large king mushrooms chopped
• black pepper
• 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Then place a Dutch oven on the stove and heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add a little bit of oil to the bottom of the pan and allow to heat up. Then add in beef chunks (careful not to crowd the pan) and brown on all sides for about a minute. This may need to be done in batches depending upon your Dutch oven.
- Once all browned add in all the beef and deglaze (pour) with red wine.
- Add in carrots, potatoes, onions, herbs, chicken broth, cabbage, zucchini, and mushrooms into the pot and add some salt. Then place the lid on, reduce heat and let sit till it begins to simmer
- Once it simmers, place inside the oven cooking for 2 hours.
- After 1 hour. Add in Worcestershire sauce, snow peas or frozen green peas, black pepper and more salt if necessary. Then let it finish cooking.